July 05, 2006

Its easy to live in the Midwest

Frances and I were talking as we went to the 4th of July fireworks at spring lake last night...which BTW were themed 'Red White and Boom' like the whole of the celebration this year, and booming they were, they must have spent extra money on the noisy ones this year as the ground shook when they did the big finale...anyway I digress.
She said that's it easy living in the Midwest,no hurricanes like Florida, no scary snakes like Texas (not sure where that came from) and even no real threat of tornadoes where we live. We decided that any city would live in fear of someone blowing up the inner city, ie the Sears tower, but that now just seems like an everyday danger, along with being hit by a car (much more likely).
I think that makes me grateful, the safety factor, somehow its good that boring is also safe, but I confess to a certain ambivalence about the lack of exotic dangers (ie alligators), something I'm sure will change when our small baby finally gets onto a bike or starts to toddle in the land of no fences.
In the meantime, life is easy in the Midwest, the sun is shining, the baby is sleeping and I'm about to go out and get some fresh air...in hearing distance of sudden infant noises of course!

No comments: