March 30, 2007

Rhino head

Yesterday LittleE took a dramatic tumble out of his high chair just as I went to pick him up and crash landed on his head and shoulder. I don't know who was more shocked, but he started howling first, and all I could think was "I've broken the baby"
I scooped him up and we both howled together while I checked him for broken limbs and head injuries. I think he might have been crying cos I didn't catch his spectacular leap, but I know I was crying from guilt for not catching the acrobat.
I decided I didn't want to test the rapid response of the linc ambulance (though I know they always need something to do) and rang the doctors, who wanted to see him even though he had no serious fall signs other than the bruise.
Lorraine came along for the ride to make sure he stayed awake...and to talk me off the very tall tower known as "Worse Mummy in the World" and after he howled at the DRs he was passed all clear.
I spent the rest of the day alternatively cuddling him and checking for dilated pupils, vomiting and changes in behavior...somewhat consoled by the fact that MIL told me M had also survived a tumble down the stairs not much older.
So today LittleE has a big round bruise, a new name "rhinohead" and we have a reminder from the garage door guys that skateboards will be much worse...so much to look forward to

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Babies take tumbles all the time. There is no escaping it. With that great big head, they're just naturally overbalanced.

One of the tots in my charge came in this morning after the weekend sporting several very dramatic scabs on her nose and cheek.

See, mummy bought her new rainboots on Saturday, and baby (she's about 17 months olds) was delighted. So delighted was she that she had to bend over to get a good look at her feet in their shiney new boots. She bent over, and over, and over a little further...

and overbalanced, landing flat on her button nose on the sidewalk!

If a baby can batter her face whilst looking at her boots, I don't see a whole lot of room for guilt here... :-)