April 19, 2005

Cherry pie

mmmmmnnn cherry pie for breakfast, although eaten carefully in the side of the mouth not brutalized by the root canal yesterday.
I'm developing a real love affair for cherry pie. The client I have been working on sells the best cherry pie in their lunchroom, the crust is flaky and the fruit is sour and sweet with just the right amount of juice. I've been attempting to replicate this masterpiece ever since. I think I've finally got the pastry just right...and almost up to my mothers/aunts/sister/Nana standard...must have been cos I was adopted and didn't have the special 'really cold hands' gene that runs in the Scott women...allowing them to produce the bestest pastry around...my mother used to say 'hot hands cook pastry', but I'm still not sure poor circulation is actually a benefit no matter how good the pastry is.
anyhoo. Still working on the filling. The first one I used the sour tinned cherries but the recipe wasn't explicit about draining the juice so I went with adding it. The whole thing looked a bit gory by the end (I gotta stop watching CSI, puts me right of red colored food) but tasted ok, though still a bit sweet.
This time I went with the frozen cherries. Not sour and I used less sugar (only 1 cup! - this is not a low cal exercise), but not sour at all and the lack of juice made it a bit gluey. So the insides of 1 and the pastry of two and I'm almost there
still...nice having a piece of cherry pie for breakfast.

No comments: