March 10, 2005

Clearing out

Vanessa and I usually talk on sametime(a little programme that lets us 'chat' by typing stuff in) each day or so...it's not the same as being there in person, but lets us catch up. Today we were talking about clearing out stuff, something I've had to become much better at over the years...she likes my tips so the rest of you get to have them today as well!
ps:Nessa, I've taken out cat references and the bits no one else needs to know!

Vanessa ... well i hope you have a great day - i'm off home to do tidying and work out how to give my house the 'life laundry treatment'
Hazel /... you really need me today :>)
Hazel /... being bossy and making you throw stuff out and buy storage stuff
Vanessa ... i know - can't you come over???
Hazel /... think about the end result...what do you really want to carry forward into your new life (pictures of Jo, 15 travel treasures etc) and what do you just have around due to habit (gifts from people you love)
Vanessa ... that last one is the tough one
Hazel /... i have no probs with you throwing out stuff that I gave you
Vanessa ... i hate giving things away when friends or family have given them to me
Hazel /... try thinking about it this way...if the house was burning down and you had time to grab a few things...what would you take?
Hazel /... I actually say out loud (to myself and the universe) 'Thank you for giving me this wonderful gift with love, and now I'm going to pass it on for someone else to love' Seems silly but seems to work
Hazel /... try it, you'll feel lots better about putting it into a box. Don't get rid of it immediately, just put the box somewhere and if you don't go and get it out in a couple of weeks, it's good to go
Vanessa ... yeah that's an idea
Vanessa ... ok have a lovely day in the snow
Vanessa ... i'm off outta here!
Hazel /... works for me....and in case you're worrying, i usually keep your gifts!
Vanessa ... ;-)
Vanessa ... of course!

pps: please don't stop giving me stuff...I'll always love it I promise

No comments: