March 16, 2005

Mrs Weaver goes to school

A while ago in a moment of rash altruism I signed up for Junior Achievement. This notable cause teaches children of all ages how business works and offers the opportunity for business people to work in schools.
I think I did it for a few (mostly good) reasons: I loved school - it was a safe and ordered world away from the emotional chaos we called home, I like the idea of business giving something back (using my powers for good not evil) and it might stretch my boundaries a little...ohmylord, what was I thinking?
Today i discovered two things...1)I'm quite happy to stand up in front of a global CEO and his/her many minions and tell them how we're going to do something but commanding a bunch of 7 year olds is a whole new level of terror and 2)I suddenly have a completely different level of understanding and respect for I know teachers - no wonder they think they are underpaid!....Frances, Brenda, Judi, Katie, Connie and Karina, how do you do it and why don't don't you collapse in a small screaming heap at the end of each day?
These were all nice kids and pretty well behaved, but it was like taking 7 cats for a walk trying to keep their attention.
Today was only observation, I was looking and helping to get a feel for how the class works, we wrote some stuff about the local tribe in the area and did a science experiment with bubbles. In April I actually have to stand up in front of them and get them to listen to me, though I learnt two new phases today that might help 'All eyes on me' and 'sit down and put your hands on the desk' I'm thinking of testing them out next time I'm stuck in a directionless meeting that's droning on and on and on and on..
Luckily all the materials are prepared, you have to follow through on the activity book and work through the activities (2nd grade is around 'Community') so the prep part should be easy....and Mrs T has done this lots of time, so should be pretty good at not letting me get into trouble.
So how was going back to school....apart from feeling like a giant, I can tell you kids still get very excited when it's break/recess time and the little girl from Brazil can spell better than me!
The weirdest thing is being called 'Mrs Weaver'...I kept looking around for the MIL, who actually was a teacher before retiring. The school is in my neighborhood, so I'm prob going to freak out when someone calls out 'Mrs Weaver' in the supermarket! They probabley won't recognize me in my weekend slob clothes...or worse still they will...and as for the boundaries...I can feel a whole loooooooot of stretch coming up!

No comments: