May 25, 2005

blogging brad

My friend Brad from the UK set off on his world adventure almost a year ago (I think) and has been living on a shoestring and generally having a wonderful time. Every now and then we'll get emails from somewhere in the jungle that remind us it is possible follow your dream...
I'm sure he won't mind if the blogshere enjoys it as well today.


Greetings from the Visayan islands

Here is a quick update from your wandering friend in
the far east. Since I wrote last, I've been
travelling through The Philippines and will next be
flying to Hawaii for a family reunion. I've actually
managed to compress and send a few photos this time.
Hope you enjoy.

Week 44 - Manila, Philippines
Another enjoyable and relaxing week in Manila.
Clair(UK) arrived from Malaysia and I spent a few days
showing her a few local sights. A few good nights of
local nightlife and it was off to the Visayan islands.


Week 45 - Bohol & Batayan Island, Cebu
Jill, Clair and I spent 4 nights on the island of
Bohol. Here we visited the chocalate hills which are
supposed to look like chocalate balls. Since its now
the rainy season they are quite green, but made for
very interesting landscape. Next we
visited a tarsier sanctuary. These are little freaky
animals that look like minature monkeys with giantic
eyes. Took some nice photos and
avoided the temptation of sneaking one into the my
daypack. This was a nice activity that I'd recommend
to those of you furtunate enough to visit The
Philippines in the future. They really are quite
interesting animals.

We then made our way to the Batayan Islands where we
spent 3 nights doing nothing but sitting on the
beach and drinking Halo-Halo, a
Philippine afternoon drink. Halo-Halo is an odd
desert made of way too much fruit, gummy products,
granola, shaved ice, and sweet milk. It sounds like
an early death by sugar, and its incredibly
addicting.... If you try one, you'll find yourself
craving them on a daily basis.

Week 46 - Batayan Island, Malapascua Island, Cebu City
We finally left the relaxing Batayan Island for
Malapascua. This island was less enjoyed by the three
of us so we only spent 2 nights before departing for
Cebu. However, I was finally able to get 2 more scuba
dives under my belt while at Malapascua. These were
my first attempts since being certified in Thailand in
early April. The dives were quite good and Im eager
to do more soon.

Then it was off to Cebu City where we spent 2 nights.
We were all a bit beached out so we spent our time
enjoying the air conditioning of the huge local mall.
We managed to watch Star Wars Episode III and enjoy
yet more Halo-Halo treats....

Thats that the story for now. Im off to Hawaii for 10
days to meet my family then I will return to The
Philippines in early June. I'll write again in a few
weeks.

Paalum para na "Good Bye for now"
-Brad

still...its not raining here in Illinios today and that's a good thing.

No comments: