May 24, 2005

what a day what a day

Been so flat out writing this test plan haven't had time to add anything...now it seems to be taking forever for each save, at least I have some time in between to add something...anything, so in the best tradition of "Wot I did in the weekend'

Had a lovely weekend up in Grand Geneva, glad we had the night as a gift as it was a trifle overpriced..though a grand place indeedy.
Did some spa stuff including a duo massage. Seemed very odd to get naked in a room with my husband and then coverup and have two complete strangers come and pound on us. Though the moment they started i virtually dropped off to la-la land I was so tired.
I can't quite get the hang of spa etiquette here, perhaps it had something to do with the fact we had gone over the border to Wisconsin away from Illinois.
In the whirlpool and sauna in the ladies section of the gym at home people quite often go nekkid...something I've finally got used to after Europe (outside of England I mean...English girls would probably run shrieking if you stood there starkers)But here they were, all wearing their togs/swimmers/bathingsuits/swimming costumes...and me without one.
I'm bold, but not bold enough to leap into a pool and be the only one nekkid...so I contented myself with a carefully draped towel (damn those things are short)and sat in the sauna for a bit.
We pottered around the next morning and then went of to Lake Geneva, the nearby town. It used to (and somewhat still is) the holiday home for the rich robber barons and their families fleeing the sticky heat (and for a time, the great fire) of Chicago. All around the lake are wonderful holiday home, ranging from the sublime(size of a normal house) to the ridiculous. It's also home to one of the US's first golf courses. The town is a mecca for day trippers, gawkers and us (oh ok - we fall into both categories)...and definitely a destination for that hidden subculture...the weekend Harley rider. So families, couples, large biker dudes (with even larger biker dudesses) and the odd harried looking resident.
They weren't quite selling sticks of rock...but pretty close.
We took the boat ride around the lake (2 hours) to gawk at the lifestyles of the rich and famous and it was pretty good, very much a potted history of Chicago aristocracy.
It was freezing when the boat got going so we huddled together like limpets...but at least I wasn't wearing a boob tube and miniskirt like one poor girl...you could ski down her goose bumps.
We managed to sit behind the worlds most boring guy...and by the time we finished we had learnt more about his parents lavishing too much money on his brother, her parents lavishing too much money on her sisters grandkids, his taste in houses, her taste in jewelry 'I got the diamond set down so it would sparkle more'...til I wanted to turn around and say in my loudest most English voice 'Would you please be quiet'...but I didn't...and still wish I had.
We toodled home the long way, had Gordy and Lorraine over for a nice long BBQ lunch in the sun on Sunday...did way more laundry than I thought we had clothes and here we are and it's Tuesday already.

No comments: